DAYTON, OH — Local children’s charity, Hannah’s Treasure Chest (HTC), is seeking special support for the organization’s annual Giving Angels program, which provides disadvantaged area children with holiday gifts and their families with small household necessities and grocery gift cards.
“We have expanded Giving Angels to serve an additional 125 children this year,” said Sarah Williams, executive director of Hannah’s Treasure Chest. “We’re inviting local businesses to donate needed items or host a Giving Angels tree for their employees or customers.”
For 2017, the organization is coordinating gift collection for nearly 700 area children living in need, and plans to supply each family served with one household necessity and a grocery gift card for the family’s holiday meal.
“With the current opioid epidemic, more relatives and grandparents on limited budgets are unexpectedly receiving custody of children,” said Williams. “When you add in the cost of purchasing holiday gifts, you understand that those items are out of reach for so many families struggling to make ends meet.”
Along with gift sponsors, the nonprofit is seeking stocking stuffers, small household necessities and grocery gift cards for the families enrolled in the Giving Angels program.
Here’s what they need most:
• Ethnic dolls
• Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars
• Nail polish, lotion and hair accessories for young girls
• Hygiene products for 8-12-year olds
• Small Lego & craft kits ($5-10)
• Sports balls, esp. soccer, football & basketball
• Travel-size games
• Fun socks for girls & boys, all ages
• New taggy blankets and rattles for babies
• New coloring books & easy readers
• New towel sets – infant, bath & kitchen
• Household cleaning & laundry supply kits
• $25 gift cards for Kroger, Walmart, Meijer
“As families shop for their own children and grandchildren, we hope they’ll consider picking up one or more of these items to help brighten the holidays for children and families in need,” said Williams.
More information about the Giving Angels program can be found at www.hannahstreasure.org/wp1/giving-angels. A complete wish list for the Giving Angels program is also available on the website.
Other Ways to Help
• Register your shopper card for the Kroger Community Rewards program and a portion of your holiday meal purchases will support the programs at Hannah’s Treasure Chest. The organization’s number is 81291.
• Donate new or open packs of diapers and Pull-Ups™ to be distributed to babies and toddlers served by the charity.
• See the organization’s entire wish list of urgently needed children’s basics at www.hannahstreasure.org/wp1/get-involved/donate/wish-list. Your child’s outgrown, like-new items will become part of a care package to help a local child in need.
Gifts may be dropped off at Hannah’s Treasure Chest’s warehouse, 124 Westpark Road, Centerville, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday. For more information on Hannah’s Treasure Chest, call (93) -438-5039 or visit www.hannahstreasure.org.
To learn more about becoming a Giving Angel tree host partner or sponsoring a child or family visit the Hannah’s Treasure Chest website at www.hannahstreasure.org/wp1/giving-angels or call the office at 937-438-5039. Families seeking assistance for holiday gifts should contact the United Way’s help line at #2-1-1 for referral to area support agencies.